Sunday, May 17, 2009

Romeo and Juliet Review


Romeo and Juliet is undoubtedly the most popular play where Shakespeare is concerned. Watching it the way that Shakespeare meant for it to be shown, in the Shakespeare Globe, was supposed to be a very enlightening experience where we can go back in time to the Victorian era. Unfortunately, I did not enjoy this play as much as I thought I would. I remembered reading and analyzing the play in my English AP class back in high school, and this was not how I pictured it to be. Considering that this rendition was in the Shakespeare Globe, I thought that it would be more fitting for Romeo and Juliet to resemble close to how Shakespeare would have wanted it done. I felt it was unorthodox to have both Romeo and Tybalt played by Black actors. I am not racist in the least, but when the rest of the Capulet and Montague family are completely white, this makes the storyline less believable. When we first saw the beginning scenes of the play, I was trying to guess who was which character, and I thought that since Juliet was played by such a young actress, that the actor who played Benvolio would be better suited for the role of Romeo. In Romeo's defense, he played the role passionately and with vigor, but I honestly thought he was an understudy throughout the remainder of the play.

My biggest criticism of the play was that it was played much too lightly for the arena that it was shown. I enjoy variations of Romeo and Juliet, but I felt that this may have been better suited for an Off-Broadway play, not in the Shakespeare Globe. The sexual conotations were much too vulgar for a place where parents bring their little children to experience the original magic of one of the greatest playwrights of the English language. I would not feel comfortable bringing my children to this, nor expect it from this kind of arena. I also did not understand the costuming of Romeo's character. I felt that his cream costume when he was in "exile" was confusing, when his earlier maroon costume (for when he went to the Capulet Ball) was not as extravagant. It doesn't make sense to be wearing more embellished clothing in that time. I do, however, understand that he must wear the maroon to symbolize he is a Montague, but perhaps the costume designer could have chosen a different fabric or cut.

There still were many parts that I did enjoy. I loved the stage: it was interesting to see how little props can carry the scenes throughout the entire play. I have only seen Romeo and Juliet in movies, where there was more money spent on the background. Like when Shakespeare must have directed it, little props and great actors are what make the play vivid to the audience. I was easily entranced by the play, even without the expensive props. I thought that Juliet was believable because women in her time were married off much earlier to much older men. Although this was not how I pictured watching Romeo and Juliet in Shakespeare's Globe, it was still a memorable experience that I will never soon forget.

2 comments: