Saturday, May 30, 2009

Geocaching: From Start to End

I never could have imagined that I would be experiencing London's nooks and crannies in a class. Dr. Manley's Geocaching class has been such an amazing adventure crawling through trees and uncovering London's history and puzzles.

A quick Geocaching Glance through Time...

Our first geocache ever at the John Snow Pub! I really had no idea what we were doing besides having the slightest knowledge that it was sort of like a scavenger hunt. And so it begins...


A part of the Catastrophe series. Monument! I hate exercise so the climb up was not appealing, but it was great to be able to see this on the very first week we were here. It's amazing how I was so lost as to where we were at this stage, and now everytime I see Monument on the tube, I know exactly what's off the exit.

Doing this part of the Catastrophe cache by myself, I was so scared that I was going to get caught! I felt like Sherlock Holmes on the search for some clues. The roads leading here were unpaved as well, and it was like a ghost town. I definitely would not have wanted to look in this area without geocaching.


I also really enjoyed exploring Regent's Park for the last cache in the Catastrophe series. If it wasn't for geocaching, I would not have taken the time out to see this gorgeous park! I hate physical exercise though, so this was the longest journey in life!

Tower of London! One of the best parts about geocaching is that I was able to explore major attractions while in class. The internship program students have to waste their own spare time to do this, while I can explore new things in the meantime. Much more time efficient :).

Greenwich. I love explaining to everyone in the internship program and at home about the history of the Prime Meridian. I learned to read a GPS here, and the Observatory is definitely not where it is 0 degrees longitude!


Roamin' the Roman Wall! This was one of the highlights as well. It was quite a puzzle to fill in the remains of the Roman Wall. It's crazy how Londoners have built around the remaining parts of the Wall. New against the very old, I love it.
The flowers are so gorgeous in London! I saw this patch next to the Roman Wall. The levels of different flowers of the same color within the same garden bed is very unique, I've never seen it anywhere else.


I really enjoyed this secluded pond area next to the Roman Wall Walk. If I ever needed a place to contemplate, I would definitely come here.

Regent's Canal geocache was one of my favorite geocaches that we did. I had no idea that London had a Little Venice, and I long to take my significant other to the restaurant on the Canal. It's a shame that the Boat House restaurant is so exclusive and expensive.

I was pretty excited to be able to find this secluded entrance for one of the Regent's Canal caches. We would have definitely passed by it without thinking much of it. 

My first time at Camden Market, and it's all because of geocaching! I knew I was going to come here soon, but I would have never thought that it used to be a horse hospital.

My first time doing a cache without any collaboration any from my classmates. Sherlock Holmes 3. Without a GPS and internet, I blindly stumbled upon Temple Church. When I got there, I couldn't find the plaque for the life of me, so I had to go home and come back another day. There were 3 last names that could have been the answer, so I had to input in all possible combos into geocaching.com. This was a tough one, especially since I forgot how to read roman numerals (it was in the thousands!)

A great way to end our geocaching class: Abbey Rd! I have been wanting to go here before I leave, and I loved how my prayers were answered with geocaching! It combined everything that geocaching has to offer: a wonderful place of interest, and a delicious history to boot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment