Saturday, May 30, 2009

Philosophy of Art: From the Beginning to the End

Art.

It is completely subjective, but yet we have a whole world of people who study and analyze it. There are so many variations, but people/scholars still try to classify it. Through this class, we are taught to distinguish pure taste with art criteria, and it is the most interesting journey.

Ahhh, the Saatchi Gallery. 
I have never even heard of this place before Professor Manley took us, and yet it has a very dear spot in my heart. Some of the most disturbing, controversial, yet beautiful pieces I have ever seen. 

I tend to choose pieces that have an emotional attachment to me, or are visually pleasing to my eyes. This piece really touched me, because it's how I feel sometimes. A drone of many other similar persons, and completely hollow and empty on the inside.

I love the openness of all the rooms in the Saatchi Gallery. Really allowed us to zoom in on the pieces.


The fluffy clouds to Tate Modern were so pretty!One of the best days in London that I could remember.

Tate Modern! Another one of my top favorites. I actually really enjoyed the black and highlighter yellow walls that act as a transition from one theme to another.

National Gallery. I wasn't a fan of classic art, but I actually enjoyed this exhibition simply for the aesthetics of it all. Each room was done in a very classy way, where I felt like I was in a Duke's manor, staring at his collection of artworks. I started to realize that although it was not my original cup of tea, I can appreciate it for the amount of time and effort it takes to create such a masterpiece.


Turner/Rothko Exhibit. I loved this room! How the colors, depending on what the background is, completely changes the feel of each canvas. Amazing!

Food Aesthetics at TAS. Good food paid for by class? Already my earbuds were perking up. I always wanted to be a food critic, and this was fun to choose a different medium to discuss art and taste.

Romeo and Juliet. Although I didn't enjoy it, I liked being able to watch a Shakespearan play the way it was originally done! Again, going along with theme that although I do not prefer the play, I can appreciate it for what it is.

The theatre setting was so pretty!

Art is all relative, but we can appreciate it through its line, tone, expressiveness, space, etc... like Rosenberg's Criteria of Excellence. Art is a criticism of life and society, although we may not like the same things...we can still recognize the worth of it.


1 comment:

  1. Completely subjective? Yikes! Which mode of discourse? (Careful of these generalizations!)

    ReplyDelete