Thursday, April 30, 2009

Portrait Gallery Aesthetic

1) Photography is completely subjective, and using my own aesthetic, I would prefer an exhibit of very few but large pieces. 2 walls of the exhibition will be painted black, while the other 2 are painted white. The lighter photographs will be placed against the black backdrop, and vice versa. Like in the National Gallery, I loved how each room's decor enhanced the paintings itself, and I would like to incorporate that aesthetic into my own exhibition. I always liked photos that overwhelm and draw the attention of the viewer from afar, so that the viewer will approach it just to see the details. I enjoy the theme of Love, and I think I would post up photographs in either black/white or Kodak color of images of Love. The photographs will be printed on canvas, like a painting, because I like the matte look that this creates. Like in the Schindler's List, I enjoy black and white pieces with a pop of color. I think I would definitely incorporate that into the exhibition.

2) 3 Pieces...

a. Wolfgang Tilman's Paper Drop... Lighter 82
Standing from Andy Warhol's popart pieces, I look left, and am shocked to think what my eyes are seeing. Could it be? Another vulgar depiction of the human genitalia? I look closer and sure enough, nothing could convince me otherwise. The slight creases in the stark peachy skintone photo were strategically placed to show the female V, the ovaries, and the vaginal area. It's amazing what a few creases and a skin match can do to a square sheet of paper.

b. Maurizio Anzeri's collection
People in still photos like the ones that Anzeri has on display tend to try to look the best they can be. In the past, portraits were painted, and now photographs are taken, to show good memories, but what if the depiction is incorrect? What is the point of having memories that only put the person photographed in a good light, and they really are not? My view of the Anzeri collection was that he used string to depict animalistic sentiment in the ones photographed. Although they dress up, put on their best attire, in hopes to capture a happy, sophisticated perosn, they are still animals in the essence: I saw an elephant, a monkey, and a bird. I feel that he is telling us to go outside of our element, to get out of the black and white (photos,) and be vibrant (by using the colorful string) in our lives.

c. Walead Beshty
Walead Beshty's 4-sided pull was extremely abstract, with 4 different layers of photographers intermeshing with each other to create a scenic piece. The top layer of vibrant cubic colors looked like I was seeing into a stained glass window, a very beautiful, dreamy stained glass window. Parts of one of the layers felt burned, and these represented the people walking alongside the blue stream. The piece was extremely intricate to do, and although crowded with color and movement, came together nicely. There was a central theme of peace and serenity, with people wandering around like there wasn't a worry in the world. I would love to have this piece in my home, it would be absolutely amazing!

1 comment: